Being able to self-manage and take personal responsibility for one's own future is one of the most valuable things we can do for our careers. Effective self management and development relies on the following skills:
- Taking responsibility: owning mistakes, talking about how you have learned from them and how they helped you develop professionally.
- Initiative: taking ownership of responsibilities and responding to things without prompting from others.
- Resilience: ability to adapt and bounce back when things don't go as planned.
- Assertiveness: in project meetings, listening but also ensuring that the best ideas are pushed forward in a sensitive and constructive manner.
- Time management: demonstrating how you currently plan work at university (e.g. using diary, scheduler, to do list)
- Flexibility: stepping in at short notice to cover for someone who is ill.